Do you want to ensure your business is getting a consistent return on investment without any hiccups? A crucial way to do so is by fully optimizing the relationship you have with your 3PL partner. Here’s our list of tips to make every move count so both of you can reap the benefits for years to come.
1. Make goals with your partnership in mind. That means looking at the outcome you wish to achieve with your 3PL. Do you want to revamp how you do customer service, make faster deliveries or raise brand awareness? Be clear about your business priorities so your 3PL can configure the best logistics path to take to make the magic happen.
2. Think about growth. Businesses grow over time and this is something you need to anticipate with your own. Your 3PL should be a business that can grow right alongside yours, adapting and evolving workplace practices, equipment and technology to help you succeed.
3. Be precise with information sharing. Afterall, communication is everything! In order to help your 3PL prevent service issues and organize their staffing to align with your needs, it’s a good idea to voice order volumes. For example, by providing a detailed shipment history, your 3PL partner can conduct a transportation analysis in order to determine the most cost effective solutions.
4. It’s not just about your business needs, but also your customer base. Depending on the type of shipping service you offer customers, make sure to communicate this to your 3PL, so they can plan accordingly. For example, do you offer same or next day shipments? Are products one size or do they vary, needing personalized packaging or handling? Details are important!
5. Don’t be afraid to shoot for the best standards. One of the biggest advantages of partnering with a 3PL, is that they have a diverse range of experience in the field. They’ve seen it all and done it all, knowing exactly which practices work and what doesn’t. Service excellence should be the objective all around, and in order to achieve that, you need to be clear about what you expect and your provider needs to be vigilant in designing a solution that they know will increase productivity, cut costs and enhance service.